BC Interior Wildfires: How You Can Help?

BC Interior Wildfires: How You Can Help?


With more than 180 wildfires burning around B.C. on Saturday and more than 38,000 people across B.C’s interior and Cariboo regions displaced by the fire, many are wondering how they can help those in need.

People around B.C. are offering to help in any way they can.

B.C. Wildfire Service and Drive BC both have information lines set up with all the latest information.

For B.C. wildfire info call 1-888-336-7378

For B.C. highway conditions call 1-800-550-4997

To report wildfires call 1-800-663-5555 or *5555.

Emergency Operations Centre (EOC) | Cariboo Regional District

Thompson  Operations Centre (EOC) – Gustafson North FSR Fire Updates can be found at the following locations: Cariboo Regional District Cariboo Regional District Emergency Operations Centre (EOC) – Gustafson North FSR Fire Updates can be found at the following locations: Cariboo Regional District 

Emergency Operations Centre (EOC) | Thompson Nicola Regional District

TNRD updates can be found on their website HERE

The Red Cross

A donations page for those wanting to donate to anyone affected by the wildfires. Go to redcross.ca to help.

If you’re looking to help victims of the B.C. wildfires by making a donation, officials are asking you to avoid crowdfunding sites.

Debbie Sell, information officer with the Thompson Nicola Regional District, says priority one is feeding and housing evacuees.

“So we’re just asking people to hold onto that thought,” she said. “We really appreciate it, but we will communicate something out in the near future to let people know what is needed and where they can go do donate”

In the meantime, Sell says people looking to help should stay away from sites like GoFundMe, which may be well-intentioned, but could also be home to scammers.

“Our focus right now, because of the situation, is just to be evacuating people who need to leave their homes, get them registered, get them some food and lodging, and at this point we’re not organizing any donations, it’s a little bit too early.”

Evacuation Centres:

Thompson Rivers University and ESS volunteers are coordinating efforts in Kamloops to assist those who have checked in at the evacuation centre.

At this time, they are asking people not to bring donations to the evacuation centre. The Thompson-Nicola Regional District is working with the Canadian Red Cross to coordinate supplies, so they are asking people to stay tuned for information on needs as they arise.

If any fire evacuee had to leave without medications or pet medications, any pharmacy can help arrange to get a prescription transfer or emergency fill.

Food Resources:

Food Banks BC says it is working to ensure evacuees will have access to the food they need.

“Regardless of supplies being in short supply everywhere, we have food banks standing ready to ship food and water wherever it is needed
at a moment’s notice,” Food Banks BC executive director Laura Lansink said.

A map of food banks across the province can be found here.

Offers of help online:

A group that used to be dedicated to help evacuees from the Fort McMurray wildfires last year has now been converted to help residents displaced by the B.C. wildfires. Many comments on the page are offering food, shelter, help with animals and ways to connect those who have been displaced.

A Facebook page has also been set up to specifically to help evacuees with livestock. ‘BC’s Emergency Livestock /Animal Evacuation Group was created for evacuees who need help and for those who are able to offer help.

The Desert Park Exhibition Society in Osoyoos is helping horse owner by offering free board for horses affected by the Princeton fire.

If you are an evacuee and have pets, this Facebook page has been set up to help coordinate efforts to find foster homes while people are staying in emergency shelters.




2017-07-11T02:00:45+00:00 July 9th, 2017|Uncategorized|