Prior event planning, project management and public speaking experience is an asset for this role, as well as and exemplary communication skills. This 35 hour per week position is for a 16-week term for the duration of the summer.
Successful applicant must have access to a vehicle and be able to lift 20 lbs. A criminal record check will be required after a successful interview.
Due to funding requirements for this role, applicants must be returning to post-secondary program in September.
Tasks & Responsibilities:
- Promote and represent United Way in the community by communicating the work they do to support the community in their three focus areas.
- Support the coordination and delivery of Day of Caring® projects in our rural and urban communities. Match community organizations with businesses on a project, coordinate orientation, prepare supplies for day-of, attend event, and follow up with participants.
- Data entry into our Customer Relationship Management software, Andar.
- Ensure that local community events and celebrations are both promoted by United Way and supported by our volunteer initiative, Days of Caring®. In addition, identify and promote to United Way staff, senior volunteers and stakeholders.
- Facilitate ‘Seeing is Believing’ tours for United Way donors who want to learn more about non-profit organizations and community issues
- Participate in and support other community events during the summer as needed e.g. Brain Injury Awareness Days.
- Promote the United Way’s free online resource directory BC211.ca through presentations and community information events.
- Work with the Director of Marketing & Communications to update Facebook, Twitter and the United Way blog with United Way events and projects.
- Provide networking opportunities for other summer student employees to facilitate collaboration, learning and mutual support
- Manage a budget for all events and volunteer activities.
- Perform general office duties as required by the Office Administration.
Mentoring & Supervision:
- Work with the Donor Engagement Associate and Director of Marketing & Communications during your orientation period and be supervised and mentored thereafter in the form of weekly 1 hour sessions.
- Develop clear, comprehensive and achievable work plan with clear objectives and timelines. Working independently is required.
- Attend and participate in regular, weekly staff meetings at United Way where they will be coached by the larger staff in a mentorship role.
- Plan and prepare for weekly reporting/updating meetings for the Resource Development team.
- Bi-monthly feedback sessions will be held to have a two-way conversation about the work environment, deliverables, communications and overall impressions of the position.
- Digital competency including Adobe Creative Suite
- Project management
- Strong communications background including written work, interviewing, public speaking and working with diverse populations
- Working in a team environment
- Working with volunteers
- An overall understanding of the non-profit sector in the Thompson Nicola Cariboo Region
- General computer skills and experience with office equipment
Send a cover letter and resume with references and telephone numbers no later than April 30th, 2017:
Director of Marketing & Communications
Thompson Nicola Cariboo United Way
177 Victoria St, Kamloops, BC V2C
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those candidates short-listed for an interview will be contacted.